Monday, May 4, 2009

My World Tuesday Disaster


Please click to enlarge
I've lived in the Valley Ranch section of Irving Texas for the last two and a half years. During that time almost every time I come home from somewhere I have to descend down a hill on MacArthur Blvd into Valley Ranch from the Los Colinas section of Irving. From the top of the hill the most prominent structure in sight was the Dallas Cowboys indoor training facility which is located a few blocks past my apartment complex. This thing was huge and dominated the view from the top of the hill until the big storm last Saturday around 3:30pm. The storm was reported to have winds over 70 miles per hour and torrential rain plus thunder and lightening. I was on the computer when the storm hit. It didn't last long but it hit very hard. After it passed I remember hearing more sirens than I ever remember hearing before. I wondered what they were for and even said a little prayer for those who need help. Then I ventured out to take some pictures of the cloudy sky and forgot about the sirens. A couple hours later we went to dinner in Carrollton. On the way back we always pass right by the Dallas Cowboys training facility. This time when I looked for the big familiar building all I saw was a heap of twisted metal and tarp. The whole thing was destroyed at that moment the sirens that I heard earlier made sense. Instead of going straight home I made a left and saw all the police cars, news trucks, lights and cameras. I drove around to the back side and took a couple of pictures of the damage. Then I started to wonder if the Cowboys football team was in there when it collapsed. Later I heard on the news that indeed a practice was taking place at the time and there were injuries, some severe but none fatal. I just read that one of the coaches was left paralyzed. What a tragedy. This wasn't even the strongest storm I've experienced here.
I pray for those injured and their families.
The ironic thing is I planned to get some pictures of the training facility this week before I move to Pennsylvania on monday.
The training facility is the big silver white thing with a blue star in the bottom two photos and the mess in the second. I acually took the weather map picture during the storm.
To see all the great my world tuesday posts click here.

17 comments:

  1. Mother nature is not always kind. I appreciate the local perspective of the event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the weather gives some bad surprises, and more and more of them lately it seems!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear James!
    So sorry about this , a real tragedy.
    Thanks God you and your family are fine.
    I will be praying for those who are suffering with all this sad situation.
    Take care!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I caught this news while watching ESPN news over the weekend waiting for a boxing update. So sorry for everyone who were there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How sad and difficult. I will keep this team in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Weather can be very scarry and I think wind is the worst! I thought our hurricans where bad but this is so unexpected it is hard to get out of harms way. Blessings to all...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nature can be very very moody. Once it unleashes it wrath we best get out of the way, if we can

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear about this tragedy. It is good to see life from another perspective, another angle, this time through your lens.

    Connecting with real people from faraway places, through blogs and similar cyberspace media, has never ceased to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tragic for those in the facility and a wonder there was not other damage to houses in the area. I wish for them a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just read about this event, this evening as I was catching up on the weekend news. Mother Nature always has the last say. Safe journeys and thank you for sharing.
    Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, what a tragedy. I have been reading about this in the local news. How sad for that coach.

    ReplyDelete
  12. heard about this storm the other day...glad you are ok...

    thanks for visiting My World..

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is very sad to hear. And you have an excellent way of capturing everything for the record both in words and photos and the weather map.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, sorry to hear about that. I lived in Grapevine for awhile and I know how bad the weather can get out there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. heard about this on the news...must have been something to cause such havoc to that heavy structure...thanks for sharing your photos of the area with us...

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a tragedy this was.

    We will be moving back home to PA from FL on June 3rd. We will be about 45 min from Newtown, but I am a little familiar with that area. It is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How awful! I completely missed hearing anything about this on the news.

    ReplyDelete