Sunday, April 5, 2009

Queen of the Missions


The Santa Barbara Mission is one of twenty-one California Missions but it's called the Queen of the Missions. It has beautiful pacific ocean and Santa Ynez Mountains views, and was founded in 1786 by Spanish Franciscans for the purpose of coverting the local indians.
"Prior to the arrival of the Spanish, the land from Malibu to San Luis Obispo was inhabited by the Chumash Indians. They were hunters and gatherers oriented to the sea. They built plank boats (tomols) which were capable of traveling to the Channel Islands. Chumash villages were autonomous, headed by a hereditary leader. Houses were semi-oval huts built of tule. Basketry was a major art form as were stone bowls and tools. Houses were dome shaped with tules covering a willow frame."
It's hard to describe how peaceful and beautiful the courtyard and little cemetery are, so green and lush with trees and plants. I think the Mission Santa Barbara is a wonderful place.

4 comments:

  1. Hello James,
    Wonderful post! Thanks for the "link", very interesting!It is important to know the history behind the picture.
    I loved the composition in these series, the sun light is a kind of "detail"in the first picture!
    Well done!
    God bless you
    Léia :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The simplicity of the exterior belies the ornateness of the interior. But more than the building, it's those magnificent views that I truly adore! Wouldn't be hard to feel close to God in a place this beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello and welcome Hilda. I love your Manila blog.I went all over the P.I. in 1987 but sadly I didn't see Manila.
    Thank you very much for the kind words Léia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. Reminds me of the missions in San Antonio where we lived for 3 years. We toured them all on a 100 degree day. Back in the day when I digital was non-existant. Oh how I need to go back and photograph them. I see you have an Alamo post. I will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete