Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Déjeuner in Rouen


While in Paris last month my wife and I took two day-trips: one to Brussels and the other to Rouen in the Haute-Normandie region a little over an hour away from Paris by high speed train. Rouen has beautiful cathedrals, hundreds of half-timbered houses and it's also famous for being the place where Joan of Arc was burned at the stake in 1431.
One of the highlights of our day in Rouen was lunch at La Couronne -"France's oldest inn, registered 1345 on the most ancient bill of sale found to this day, has been a legendary place... where Kings and Queens, heads of states, politicians, artists, stars, writers, sportsmen, came for lunch or dinner."
I was afraid it was going to be a tourist trap but I think we were the only tourists in the place. The food and service were excellent. The restaurant itself was like a museum of autographed photos from all of the celebrities and heads of state who dined there over the years.
-In the top photo La Couronne is the one on the left with the bush in front of the door.
-The second photo I think the old guys are playing boules in the courtyard of St. Ouen church.
-The final photo is looking up inside La Couronne.
I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the fact that the restaurant was already almost a hundred years old and people were eating in La Couronne the day Joan of Arc was killed in 1431.
On another day I'll post more pictures of the town and cathedrals of Rouen.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely photos of a beautiful place that I"ve not visited. Thanks for the tour.
    V

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I'm going to post more Rouen pictures, including the biggest cathedral I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been to La Couronne as well, having the heavist lunches I ever tried, with "trou normand" and the rest! Also, to imagine that the restaurant was already some 80 or 90 years old when Joan was burnt in front of it!

    Wonderful city centre!

    ReplyDelete